By Roger Myrick
- the courting between homosexual identification, language, and power
- cultural reviews of the historic improvement of homosexual identity
- studies in wellbeing and fitness conversation approximately HIV/AIDS and future health probability communication
- the political results of public health and wellbeing schooling approximately HIV/AIDS on homosexual men
- the political effects of media representations of homosexual id and its courting to disorder Based totally on the French student Michel Foucault’s severe, old research of discourse and sexuality, this e-book takes a well timed and unique strategy which differs from conventional, quantitative verbal exchange stories. It examines the connection among language and tradition utilizing a qualitative, cultural reports technique which areas medicalization theories within the broader context of histories of sexuality, the discursive improvement of latest homosexual id, and up to date public healthiness communication.Author Roger Myrick explains how mainstream conversation approximately HIV/AIDS relentlessly stigmatizes and extra marginalizes homosexual identification. He describes how nationwide wellbeing and fitness schooling stigmatizes teams via associating them with photos of sickness and “otherness.” Even conversation which originates from marginal teams, really these hoping on federal money, frequently participates in linking homosexual identities with disorder. in line with Myrick, executive investment, whereas frequently helpful for the continuation of community-based future health campaigns, poses visible and direct regulations on potent marginal schooling. AIDS, verbal exchange, and Empowerment permits a rethinking of how marginal teams can take regulate in their personal schooling on public health and wellbeing concerns. As HIV/AIDS instances proceed to upward push dramatically between marginalized and disenfranchised teams, research of healthiness conversation directed towards them turns into the most important to their survival. This booklet offers precious insights and data for students, pros, readers attracted to the connection between language, strength and marginal id, and for sessions in homosexual and lesbian reports, future health verbal exchange, or political communication.
Read or Download AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages PDF
Similar gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Lambda Literary Award finalistAlternately unsettling and declaring, devastating and scrumptious, the closest go out will be at the back of You is a brand new number of essays on gender and identification by means of S. undergo Bergman that's irrevocably sincere and perpetually illuminating. With humor and charm, those essays care for matters from women's areas to the previous boys' community, from homosexual male bathhouses to lesbian potlucks, from being a toddler to getting ready to have one.
In Queer Social Philosophy, Randall Halle analyzes key texts within the culture of German severe conception from the viewpoint of latest queer idea, exposing gender and sexuality regulations that undermine these texts' claims of common fact. Addressing such figures as Kant, Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche, Adorno, and Habermas, Halle deals a different contribution to modern debates approximately sexuality, civil society, and politics.
The themes of this e-book represent an important go component of BBC technology fiction tv. With such characters because the healthcare professional (an enigmatic time-traveling alien), Kerr Avon (a problematical insurgent leader), Dave Lister (a slovenly final surviving human) and Captain Jack Harkness (a complicated omnisexual immortal), those exhibits have either challenged and bolstered viewer expectancies concerning the small-screen masculine hero.
No 1 Amazon iteration! while you're taking into consideration turning into a homosexual dad ─ or when you are already a homosexual dad ─ this publication is for you! Are you prepared to have little ones? increasingly more homosexual males are turning to adoption and surrogacy to begin their very own households. An envisioned million American LBGTQ humans want to undertake and an anticipated 65,000 followed teenagers reside with a homosexual dad or mum.
- The Ideal Gay Man: The Story of Der Kreis
- Reparative Therapy of Male Homosexuality: A New Clinical Approach
- Gay Conversations with God
- LGBT Baltimore (Images of Modern America)
Extra resources for AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages