By Jo McDonald,Peter Veth
- Summarizes the variety of perspectives on old rock paintings from major foreign scholars
- Includes new discoveries and examine, illustrated with over one hundred sixty photographs (including 30 colour plates) from significant rock artwork websites round the world
- Examines key paintings of famous experts (e.g. Lewis-Williams, Conkey, Whitley and Clottes), and descriptions new instructions for rock artwork research
- Is generally overseas in scope, making a choice on rock artwork from North and South the US, Australia, the Pacific, Africa, India, Siberia and Europe
- Represents new methods within the archaeological examine of rock artwork, exploring concerns that come with gender, shamanism, panorama, identification, indigeneity, background and tourism, in addition to technological and methodological advances in rock artwork analyses
Read or Download A Companion to Rock Art (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Similar archaeology books
In 1991 the mosque at Ayodhya in India was once demolished via Hindu fundamentalists who declare that it stood at the birthplace of a mythical Hindu hero. in the course of contemporary conflicts in former Yugoslavia, ethnic teams destroyed mosques and church buildings to dispose of proof of long term cost by way of different groups.
Jean Andreau and Raymond Descat holiday new floor during this comparative background of slavery in Greece and Rome. concentrating on slaves’ financial function in society, their the most important contributions to Greek and Roman tradition, and their day-by-day and family members lives, the authors study the several ways that slavery developed within the cultures.
'Early Celtic artwork' - typified by way of the enduring shields, swords, torcs and chariot apparatus we will be able to see in areas equivalent to the British Museum - has been studied in isolation from the remainder of the proof from the Iron Age. This booklet reintegrates the paintings with the archaeology, putting the unearths within the context of our most modern principles approximately Iron Age and Romano-British society.
This quantity brings jointly the consequences from the excavations on the former Imperial university activities flooring, RMC Land and Land East of Wall backyard Farm, close to the villages of Harlington and Sipson within the London Borough of Hillingdon. The excavations printed components of an archaeological panorama with a wealthy historical past of improvement from prior to 4000 BC to the post-medieval interval.
- Westward on the High-Hilled Plains: The Later Prehistory of the West Midlands (Making of the West Midlands)
- An Archaeology of the Immaterial
- Museums, Equality and Social Justice (Museum Meanings)
- The Life and Times Of Cleopatra: Queen of Egypt (Kegan Paul Library of Ancient Egypt)
Extra resources for A Companion to Rock Art (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)